You may not have heard of the pegan diet yet but I am sure you will be hearing more of it in the near future, so we thought we would give you a quick preview of this interesting way to eat. As the name suggests this is a mix of a vegan diet and a paleo diet, around 75% vegan and 25% paleo. The paleo diet is one that encourages eating natural foods such as fruit, vegetables, fish, meat and nuts whilst the vegan diet of course focuses on strictly non-animal foods.
How To Be A Pegan Follower
Here is a rundown of the sort of foods that you would concentrate on if you were following the pegan diet, according to an excellent article on the Vogue India website:
- Start off with vegetable shopping. Make sure 60 per cent of your refrigerator is full of colourful veggies such as purple and red cabbages, carrots, red and yellow peppers, cucumbers, yellow zucchini as well as herbs of all kinds and leafy greens.
- Pegans are allowed to eat fruits, and that is where they get the natural sugars. But make sure you pick primarily low-glycemic fruits such as apples, kiwi, watermelon and berries (avoid bananas).
- Good fats are your friends. Buy good quality ripe avocados for salads, organic coconut oil and cold-pressed sesame oil to drizzle. Small amounts of grass-fed cow ghee is also allowed, so invest in a pure, artisanal brand.
- Breakfast enthusiasts could add steel-cut oatmeal for porridge and amaranth flour for pancakes. For lunch and dinner, rely on red rice or millets.
- Add Greek yoghurt to your refrigerator or bottles of artisanal kefir to pop open for a midday snack. But make sure you have them only occasionally.
- Dairy is not okay, unless it’s fresh cheese or a macrobiotic drink. Lactose-free coconut yoghurt and vegan cheese are good alternatives.
- If you absolutely must have milk, let it be sheep or goat milk, which is easier to digest than cow’s milk.
High Quality Food Products
As luck would have it Global Foods & Provisions Ltd can supply most of the food ingredients that make up a paleo diet. So if you are looking to give this kind of diet a try, or you run a food business and need a supplier who you can trust to supply you with the very best quality food and drink ingredients, just contact us here in our offices in Northwich, Cheshire on 0161 660 3380 and we will be glad to be of assistance to you.