As we are bang in the middle of the type of heatwave that we very rarely see here in the UK, with temperatures hitting the 30 degree mark in some areas today, we thought we would look at the topical subject of foods that can help to hydrate you and cool you down. Foods that have a lot of water content can certainly help as they are a lot easier to digest and so your body expends less energy breaking them down, thus keeping you cooler.
Here are 10 foods to keep you cool in the heatwave:
- Cucumber: There is lots of moisture in the good old cucumber along with potassium which is something that us men lose when we sweat (or women lose when they perspire!)
- Bitter Greens: Certain greens can be very good to eat in the hot weather such as kale, collards and dandelion greens, as they have anti-inflammatory properties and will help boost your hydration levels. It is believed that not all greens have the same effect though as spinach and turnip greens can be a little salty.
- Watermelon: Watermelon is pretty well known for its hydration properties as it consists of over 90% water, and of course they are delicious.
- Coconut Water: As coconut water is so full of nutrients, vitamins and minerals it helps to keep your body at its optimum level and it will keep you hydrated and feeling healthy.
- Curd: Curd can have a wonderful cooling effect on the body, and it is especially good mixed into smoothies.
- Peppermint: Peppermint is a lovely way of cooling down your body, make a tea with peppermint and relax in the shade and you will soon feel full of energy again.
- Pomegranate Juice: Did you know that pomegranate can help to control body temperature? Add to a smoothie or juice it up to get the full effect.
- Oranges: Oranges are choc full of vitamin C and are good to alleviate dehydration in hot weather.
- Gazpacho Soup: This Spanish soup is full of tomatoes and cucumbers which both have high water content, and as the soup is chilled it is perfect to cool you down.
- Berries: Blueberries and raspberries have a high alkaline content which is believed to generate cold energy in the body to cool down your system.
If you incorporate just a few of the above into your diet then you should be feeling a lot cooler and chilled during this freakishly hot spell of weather.