Coconut Oil Contains Healthy Fats Which Are An Essential Part Of Your Diet

Coconut Oil Contains Healthy FatsFor some critics the jury is still firmly out on the benefits of coconut oil, but for others there is no doubt that this oil is one of the best superfoods around due to the fact it contains healthy fats. We are definitely in the latter camp!

Fats Are An Essential Element Of A Healthy Diet

There is an excellent article by Liji Thomas, MD, in News Medical Life Sciences (you can read the full article at the link) and in the article she writes that coconut oil is good for you because:

`Fats are an essential part of the diet because of their intrinsic value as structural and functional components of cell membranes.

`They also act as carriers for fat-soluble molecules such as vitamin A and D, and as the beginning point for the synthesis of steroid hormones, prostaglandins and other bioactive molecules. On the other hand, high percentage of fat in the diet may lead to obesity and increased cardiovascular disease, diabetes – and even malignancy risk.`

`Coconut oil is rich in saturated fats and was therefore the victim of much misinformation for three or more decades. The standard allegation was that the consumption of saturated fat raises blood cholesterol levels, which in turn is proven to push up the risk of cardiovascular heart disease.

`This was traced to a report on the danger of hydrogenated vegetable fat in heart disease, but was later dismissed as being due only to the saturated fat content in these oils and fats, while the real reason was the formation of trans fats during hydrogenation. The underlying rationale for such a consensus was economic rather than health-based, but the campaign was accepted as truth by other regions of the world because of the participation of health professionals and government bodies. As a result, even countries which had been using coconut oil for hundreds of years and had a very low incidence of heart disease showed a dramatic reduction in the use of this tropical oil.

Low Incidence Of Heart Disease In Sri Lanka

Coconut GoldShe goes on to point out that in Sri Lanka, where they consume large amounts of coconut oil, they have a very low incidence of heart disease, whereas in the USA, who use polyunsaturated cooking oils in the main, they have recorded a level of heart disease 280 times higher than Sri Lanka, past research found.

Coconut oil is very high in saturated fats, it contains around 90% with the other 10% comprising caprylic, capric, myristic, stearic, linoleic, oleic and palmitic acids. It is this healthy fat content that makes it one of the worlds superfoods.

We have our own brand of organic, extra virgin coconut oil, which is produced in Sri Lanka and is called Coconut Gold (which you can see a jar of in the picture here). For more information on this wonderful oil give us a call here in Knutsford, Cheshire on 0161 660 3380.